Wednesday, December 16, 2015

BeagleBone Black/Green bus speeds

USB Host (big type A jack): 20MB/s writing to a Seagate USB3 2TB portable (spinning) hard disk (required plugging a 5V 4A power supply into the BeagleBone Black's power jack).  On BeagleBone Green, I got corruption with the Seagate disk, even when I powered the board from a bench supply.  With this Samsung 64GB USB flash drive I get 14-18MB/s write on both BeagleBone Green and Black.

Disk: 4.3MB/s writing to onboard flash, and 7.1MB/s to a SanDisk Ultra 64GB microSD card.  On BeagleBone Green, I get 9.4MB/s to onboard flash, and 6.8MB/s to the same SanDisk microSD card.

Network: Using netcat with the USB ethernet interface, I get 7.6MB/s upstream (to my laptop).  With the 100baseT jack I get 11.2MB/s upstream.  If I use ssh with its default cipher, I get about 10MB/s, but that goes back up to 11.1MB/s if I use "-c arcfour".

Compression: gzip -1 gives me 4.1MB/s on text generated by "cat /dev/urandom data | od -x".  I tried lz4 as well and it was almost exactly the same speed.

2 comments:

Damien Miller said...

For SSH, try the cipher "chacha20-poly1305@openssh.com" - it's the fastest one in recent versions (and is the default in the latest)

Lunkwill said...

Thanks for the hint! That cipher wasn't supported on the version I have, so I can't easily try it. rc4 saturated the link, though, so we know at least one cipher can do that.